In this section we will introduce you to practical tips for drivers, highway sticker, parking in the city, the types of driving licenses and driving schools.
- While driving, it is compulsory to have a driving license with you, to be completely sober (ZERO tolerance for alcohol and drugs), to have your seatbelts fastened and the headlights turned on. It is forbidden to manipulate manually with the phone while driving.
- Mandatory equipment: a warning triangle, first aid kit, reflective jacket, heaver*, key for changing the tyres*, spare tyre*.
*Does not apply when you have a 24/7 assistance service that will provide the change of the tyres.
- During winter (1 November – 31 March): It is compulsory to use winter tyres on your car. There are some exceptions, but it is recommended to have them during that time equipped.
- In the Czech Republic, it is possible to lose the driving licence if you are breaking rules. There are fixed penalties. For each violence of the rules you can get 2-7 points. With 12 points the driving licence will be taken away from you (more information here).
- BIKES: It is compulsory to wear a helmet until you are 18 years old, then it is only recommended; it is compulsory to have a light on when there are worse light conditions (night, mist, etc.). There is also ZERO alcohol tolerance for the cyclists, breaking this rule can lead to losing your car driving licence.
To use the highways, it is compulsory to have the “highway sticker” that you can buy at any gasoline shop. There are 3 types (for 10 days/1 month /1 year). Do not forget to fill in the registration number of your car. See a map of tolled sections. Since 2021, you can buy Electronic Vignette online.
|sticker type||year – R||moth – M||10 days – D|
|Fee||1.500 Kč||440 Kč||310 Kč|