Paperwork & Translation

Paperwork & Translation

The Czech Republic supports the digitization of public administration. Czechpoint places have been created for obtaining extracts from public administration information systems and other related services. Czechpoints places operate in the Czech language. If you will need professional translation of your document (eg for business, private stuff, work), we offer you options on how to get them below.

Postal services

Czech Post is the provider of the postal services throughout the whole country (see the map), including parcels and cash transfers (both domestically and internationally). For the purposes of sending letters and postcards, it is possible to use orange mailboxes that you can find in the public spaces all over the country.

Post offices can be found in towns and often also in villages, opening hours differ from office to office. In the towns, the services are separated and each “window” specializes in different services. In bigger offices, there is a machine with options, that will give you a ticket with the number of the right “window”.

Fortunately, the website of the Czech Post is in English and you can also find it useful to check Price calculator for letters and parcels.

Useful words:

  • listovní služby – post services
  • podání – sending
  • výdej – collection
  • balíkové služby – parcels
  • obyčejné psaní – ordinary mail
  • doporučené psaní – registered letter
  • Známky a kolky – stamps

Czech POINT is a system providing assisted access to the public administration system:

  • extracts from public administration information systems: eg an extract from the Criminal Register* (also an extract from your home country) or the Land Register (cadastral records);
  • submission to the state administration: eg registration of trade in the register of trade business;
  • basic registers: eg the extract from basic registers or submission of a request for data change;
  • data boxes – eg request to set up a data box, request to invalidate access data and issue new ones, etc.;
  • Authentication of documents (=vidimace) – click for details (only for documents in Czech and Slovak language)
  • Legalisation of signature (= ověření podpisu) – click for details
  • and more (full list).


These services are provided at the so-called contact points of public administration that are provided with a blue CzechPOINT logoMAP of contact points


*It can be obtained for EU countries (except for HU, IT, PT, NL and FI) via most Czech Post Offices at the CzechPoint counters. Ask for the Criminal Record (= ‘výpis z rejstříku trestů s přílohou’). There is a CzechPoint counter close to the main central entrance of the City Hall. This process may take up to 25 working days and the fee is 100 CZK. For non-EU citizens please contact your Embassy for more information.


If the services of Czech POINT are not sufficient, you can visit a state-authorized notary:


**First of all, find out which documents the receiving institution (eg. Czech state office) requires from you. In some situations just a verified translation (into the Czech language) of the documents from your home country will be enough. In other situations an apostille will be required along with a verified translation. In a small number of cases the superlegalisation, along with the verified translation, will be requested. In all these situations you have to contact the state offices in your home country. The guide below is only for cases when you want to use documents issued by a Czech Authority in a foreign country (eg. a Czech woman and a man from Honduras had a wedding in Ostrava and if they would like to legalise this marriage in Honduras the Czech wedding certificate needs to be accepted by the authorities  in Honduras and thus this guide is right for them).**


The apostille is a higher degree of verification of the signature and stamp of the authenticity of the document. An Apostille, along with the superlegalisation, are two different ways of verifying public documents. These verifications credibly prove the fact that the document was issued or verified by a certain judicial or administrative body of a country or its signature witnessed by the official authority. Simply put, the the national authorities thus confirm to a foreign authority or institution (vice versa) that they can trust this document and it is not a forgery.

Importantly, you can only obtain this verification in the country where the document was issued. So, for example, if you have a Bulgarian birth certificate, only the Bulgarian Ministry can give you an apostille for it. If you are not in Bulgaria, the quickest way is probably to call the Embassy of the Republic of Bulgaria and arrange it there.

You will need an apostille clause for states with which the Czech Republic has not signed a bilateral international agreement on an exemption from document authentication. It will, therefore, be a party to the Apostille Convention.


The apostille clause is issued in each state by one or more apostille authorities, which you can handle in person or by post. Don’t forget to secure stamps in advance (available at every Czech Post Office branch). In the Czech Republic, there are two bodies authorized to provide verified documents with an apostille or higher verification:

1) Ministry of Justice of the Czech Republic – International Civil Department (for documents issued or verified by courts, including documents prepared or verified by notaries and bailiffs);

2) Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Czech Republic – Consular Department – legalisation department (for other documents issued or verified by state administration bodies or other bodies, ie registration documents, business documents, health documents, documents issued by financial authorities, study documents, education documents).

More instructions on the website of the Ministry of Interior.


In some cases (and in some countries) the apostille is not sufficient so it is necessary to provide additional verification, the so-called superlegalisation. Superlegalisation is based on the principle of double verification. More instructions on the website of Ministry of Interior.

Interpreters & Translators

For some official documents, you will probably need the services of a court-appointed interpreter (soudní tlumočník) or certified translator (soudně ověřený překladatel). 

  • Online register of the members of the Chamber of Court Appointed Translators and Interpreters.
  • Online register of Interpreters by the Ministry of Justice (in Czech).

As the above mentioned registers might be a bit of a challenge to use, there are also agencies that can take care of your needs:


Write us a message

Write us more about the company you want to add.

    Any other needs?
    Contact us